Monday, November 16, 2009

If I get PH.D (electric engineering) at 56 years old - can I be hired as an assistant professor at University?

I am an 52 year old electrical engineer. I thought about what to do after I retire, and I came upon an idea that I want to teach at the University level. So I started a PH.D program this semester, but I am not sure how realistic my dream is. When I complete the Ph.D program, I'll be 56 years old (if I am lucky, since I am still working full time as an engineer). I want to start teaching as a lecturer for another 5 years part time (56 to 61), then I retire at my company and continue to teach for next 10 - 12 years as a full time professor. Is this realistic plan or am I a complete nuts dreaming a pipe dream? Do Universities hire 56 - 61 years old people to begin with? Can I become a professor at the age of 61 or 62?

If I get PH.D (electric engineering) at 56 years old - can I be hired as an assistant professor at University?
I went back to school in my mid-40s %26amp; got my PhD in Finance at age 49 (from Berkeley). I had trouble getting a tenure track position -- and suspect that my age had something to do with it.





On the other hand, universities liked the fact that I had real world experience and thought I would be good in the classroom. I worked for I-Banks in research for over ten years before going back to school. Because of this, I was able to get a series of great visiting positions (MIT, Wharton, Maryland). Some schools have long-term, non-tenure track teaching positions. I hav eone now.





Your industry experience may help you land that kind of a job.





Good luck. It isn't easy.
Reply:If you have the proper experience, and, as a 52 year old electrical engineer you probably do, you could start teaching immediately, or at least running workshops/tutorials/demonstrations/whate...





Your chances at professorship, even with a PhD, are extremely slim. A university generally has at most one or two professors in any particular field, and these are almost excursively filled by long-term academics.





Lecturing is quite possible however. A voice of experience is often a prised component of any course (particularly a more practical one such as engineering)


No comments:

Post a Comment